Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

She caught my attention as I read the Sunday Times between my heavy eyelids. She is merely 28, holds a doctorate and is the inventor of the recycled spectacles. I probably wouldn't have paid much attention had I not tried the recycled spectacles at Nanyang Optical recently.

Whenever I read of such young achievers, I would often think "hey, what have I been doing all this while?". I was from a reputable school, had a decent education, yet I feel stagnated now. Looking back, I think one of the main causes of my stagnation is my lack of courage. I'm just not not daring enough. During the most colorful period of my life, I had the chance for something bigger but I pulled the brakes. Few years later, when I should have closed a chapter, yet I still held on to it. It seems that I always fall into the trap of letting go too early or holding on for too long.

A friend once said to me, it is not so much of whether you can or not but rather, you dare or not. How very true, especially when I look at the people around. Many who are doing well in life now did not come from reputable "good" schools and some did not ace academically. Conversely, some products of the "good" schools are now just a plain face in the crowd.

So what am I trying to get at? While a formal education is important, I feel that greater emphasis should be placed on character building. A person with the right attitude and good character will go far in life, regardless of his beginnings.

If I coulld turn back the clock, I'd choose to be bolder and listen less to the "good advice" of well-wishers. Alas! I can't go back in time but I guess it's still not too late to start now. Wish me luck ;)

2 comments:

jules said...

Recently, after attending a social mission conference with my bible study mates in which i heard many speakers talk about their lives, i lamented my lack of action in my younger years. I've always yearned to do something much, much more to give back to those who are less privileged than me, but i've always lacked the guts and courage to go all out to do it and give up my cushy life. Well, as u say, can't turn back the clock but wish me luck too as i try to fulfil some of my heartfelt wishes. All the best to you too, dear friend!

Piko said...

Well, I guess we can also do our part to help others w/o giving up too much of our cushy life ;) There are some things that we can do, perhaps on a bimonthly basis to help others. Before we get too old and become recipients of other's help, letz just do whatever we can and not hesitate too much as in our younger days ;)
Wish you luck too in pursuing your heart's desire :)