Monday, April 27, 2009

Less is more - Part 1

What is the most common thing you hear from people around you, be it friends, colleagues or even relatives? 'Very busy, a bit busy lately, no time for.....', right? Busyness often gives one the feeling of being important, useful or even successful. And it's so very often that we hear people remarked how busy they are at work, at home or even social life. I think generally, people 'feel good' about being busy. But do we really have to be so busy that we always don't have time?

We often create stress and make ourselves lethargic because we want to 'do everything ourselves'. But if we were to slow down and ask ourselves 'if today is the last day of my life, will I still want to do this?', it becomes clear where our priorities should be. I am not undermining the necessary task of housekeeping etc. It is important to keep your home, workplace in order, spick & span. It saves you time and increases efficiency. However, there are some other tasks that are unnecessary time-eaters and I'm sure we all know what we are guilty of.

I like what I read from a book recently. It says that the key to having more time is doing less and the way to get there is to do this - define a short to-do list and a not-to-do list. Both of these should be used together. How often have we come up with a long to-do list only to feel disheartened at the end of the day because we couldn't complete it? Be realistic, list down what is do-able within the specified time frame and you'll feel good when it is accomplished.

I don't want to sound 'preachy' but I thought it'll be good to share with friends what I've read and found beneficial. There are a few other points which I think is good and I will leave that to my next post. Don't wanna make it too lengthy here ;)

2 comments:

jules said...

Thanks for sharing :-) Yes, time management is a tricky issue and "busy" is a tricky word. It tends to be on our tongues way too often and this word has been misused for far too long, haha... You are right, less is definitely more.

Piko said...

Yea, I agree. I am also guilty of saying 'busy' too often at times :P So nowadays, sometimes I'll say I have things to keep me occupied and avoid the 'B' word ;)