Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Idling @ Istanbul

Today was basically a rest day for us. Karen and my mom came over to the hotel where we stay around noon. My mom watched tv and slept while Karen and I chatted and viewed photographs from our trip. Lunch was koka instant noodles and bak kwa that I brought from Singapore. It was simply delicious, a good break from the meaty and bread diet that we've already grown tired of.


We had dinner at our Turkish friend's place this evening - typical Turkish meal and lots of BBQ meat. We really appreciate our friend's effort to customize the food to suit our tastebuds. The rice was cooked without butter and the rice pudding dessert was made with half the usual amount of sugar. My mom and Karen tried Turkish coffee after the meal but I chose to have cay (pronounced as 'chai', means tea in Turkish). Turkish coffee is like expresso, small in quantity, strong in taste and aroma. I personally find it too strong and tasted a bit powdery. I hope my mom and Karen are not counting sheep now.

Our friend gave us a house tour after dinner. I was impressed with the many artwork that his wife has created. I was even more amazed to know that she did not receive any formal training. The creative genes run in the family for her mother, and now her own daughter also exhibit such talent. It makes me feel that anything is possible as long as you work hard enough and perservere through time.

We left our friend's place at around 10.45pm. We should have a good rest tonight for we have lots of walking to do tomorrow. Our plan tomorrow? Visit Grand bazaar, spice market, blue mosque.... I can foresee my mom buying loads of nuts and spices.

No comments: