Monday, June 11, 2007

Too high? Too low?

Someone commented in the Straits Times few days ago that the seats at the Maxwell hawker centre are too high. I couldn't agree more. I was one of those who had to stretch my spine to enjoy my chicken rice. Perhaps some of you might have the same experience as me....besides stretching my spine unnecessarily, I had to sit near the edge of the seat so that I can rest my feet comfortably on the floor. Okay, I know some of you are laughing out there and I hear you saying that I have short legs (*hng* just you wait ;P) But, don't you agree with me? Just observe the diners around you the next time you're there. Most ladies, unless they are wearing high heel shoes, tend to sit nearer to the edge of the seat.

While the new seats at the Maxwell hawker centre must have been ordered by some 'giraffe engineers', I guess the sofas at the Sembawang community library must have been brought in by some young couch potatoes. I was there this afternoon after a long break and was pleasantly surprised with the moderately new look at the library. I thought the 4 rows of sofa facing the window was a pretty good spot to finish reading my book but I was wrong. Barely half an hour, I could feel the strain on my lower back. The sofas lack back support and are way too low in height. No doubt low sofas feel more comfy and look more trendy, I can't help but wonder how the old folks are going to get up and down easily. This is especially so for those who have undergone knee replacement surgery which renders the knee impossible to bend more than 90degree. I finally got up after 35mins or so as I don't wish to see a chiropractor.

No comments: