Monday, July 9, 2007

Stop PESTering me

Why did God create lizards and cockroaches? I can understand that lizards are needed in the ecosystem but what about cockroaches?! What good do they bring to mankind? I was once asked which of these two do I detest more? Now I know the answer after my battle with them for the past few days.

I came back late one night last week only to be greeted by a roach that sneaked into my house the moment I opened the door. It was like a dark shadow, it moved so fast that my sleepy eyes almost missed it but I sensed there was an intruder and my brain was instinctively on high alert. Fortunately I just cleared the junk behind my door and there was no hiding place for it. I declared war immediately and got my baton (rolled newspaper) and Baygon ready.

This was a huge roach, and an intelligent one. Sensing that it has no place to hide, it went to the top of my door to play hide n seek with me. I felt so disgusted when I saw it peeping down from the top of my door with 2 of its antennas waving at me as if it's challenging me (grr....). I could almost hear it singing 'you cannot catch me...' I thought to myself either you get lost now or I'll make sure you die a terrible death. In the end, I chased it out but I think it didn't die though I gave it a dose of Baygon.

The next day, I updated my ammunition - WipeOut roach bait, Baygon with nozzel specially for crawling pests. I replaced all the WipeOuts at home and added new ones. It's funny how this little WipeOuts actually made me feel more secure. I was able to sleep in peace but that didn't last long...

Before I turned in last night, I spotted a lizard in my yard. Oh man...why can't you stop pestering me?? I got my weapons out and was ready to fight it out but heaven was not on my side. The strong winds meant that if I were to spray Baygon, I might be the one gone as the wind was blowing in my direction. I used a bamboo to chase it away but it was another military-trained lizard who knows who to dodge my moves. To make things worse, my opposite neighbour saw me at the yard in that embarrassing situation. Well, my hair was bun up and I certainly wasn't looking my best with so many barangs in my hands. He was quick enough to offer me a tip - get boiling water ready and pour it over the lizard once it drops down. Gosh, this is the first time I hear of such strategy! Did I try that? No. Why? Because I couldn't even get it down to the floor. I gave up in the end. I reasoned that it must have stayed put to seek shelter from the rain. Ok, I shall be benevolent for a night as long as you leave when the rain stops.

An hour later, I had another undesired visitor in my bathroom - gigantic roach again!! I got up to answer nature's call but the call was off the moment I saw the roach. My immediate reaction was to switch off the lights and shut the bi-fold door. I was contemplating if I should charge in with my weapons again or pray hard that my newly replaced WipeOut will do the job. I chose the latter as I don't want to risk having it escape into my room. I slept for a good 5hours but not without dreams of fighting roaches :s

Thank God when I woke up this morning, both the roach and lizard are gone. I've since added more WipeOuts and napthalene balls near the drainage areas, not forgeting to spray JIF near their hangouts. Will this suffice? I'm crossing my fingers and toes. Maybe I should upgrade my ammunition later again.

And yes, I conclude that roaches are more detestable than lizards. They are also seemingly smarter and oh oh......they can fly :s

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very impressive

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.