Thursday, October 23, 2008

Evening visitor (Part 1)

It was 7.50pm on a Wednesday evening. Darkness has covered the sky like a blanket. I was watching tv alone at home when I heard a knocking sound from my window. Turning my head, I saw what seemed like a white hand waving at me. I froze for a second. I stay on the 14th floor, how could anyone be knocking on my window? And what is that white thing waving at me? Memories of a similar encounter that happened 10yrs ago in Edinburgh came to my mind.

I walked closer to the window... through the day curtain, I saw that the 'white hand' was actually a bird. I was relieved and puzzled at the same time what brought the bird here. I was glad that my window was closed. Can you imagine what would have happened if the bird flew into my living room?! On closer look, I realised that it was not just any pigeon or mynah bird but a parrot! It was a huge white parrot, probably about 30cm in height. Was it injured? Where did it come from? Why did it stop at my window? How did it stay at my window when there's no ledge or anything for it to grip on? Why didn't it fly away when I walked closer? It doesn't seem to be afraid of me at all.

Being a fan of fantasy and fairytales, I even thought to myself if the parrot has a message for me? Maybe it will lead me to the medieval times to save a kingdom or liberate the people? I reached for my mobile phone to video the parrot. Initally, I took the video through the day curtain as I was afraid it might fly away once I draw the curtain. Soon, I realised that the parrot is one bold and curious fellow. It was apparent that the parrot saw me and was following my movement. As I slowly and cautiously pull the day curtain from the left, the curious fellow also moved curiously in the same direction. We were like playing games - to guess who's behind the drape :P When the 'veil' between us was finally lifted, the parrot's head was seen popping out from the edge of the curtain. Our eyes met and still, it was not afraid of me. I was so amazed and pleasantly surprised by the evening visit. It brought some excitement to an otherwise boring day.

I took a second video, with close ups and full body length. Halfway through, my house phone rang, it flew off when I went to answer the call. I wonder if it will visit me again this evening...

This is the first video that I took. Notice how the parrot's head eventually emerged from the side of the curtain. I thought it was so cute :)

No comments: