Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Project 2010

I had a thought recently, a desire to realise a partially-fulfilled dream. Back in 2000, I climbed my first mountain - Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa. It was an exhilatering and unforgettable experience. Although I did not make it to the summit despite 3 months of intensive training prior to the expedition, I did not regret the sweat and tears we put in. The memories of the breath-taking views are still as fresh in my mind as the morning dew.

I often wonder, what if I had tried a little harder. My physical body may be stronger back then but I think my will power did not match up to it. If I were to repeat the feat again, it may be tougher physically but I'm certain my mental power is definitely much stronger. When there's a will, there's a way. Perhaps, I can make it against all odds :)

I thought it would be good to do it again in 2010. That should give me sufficient time to build up my health and train up my body. I'll have greater reasons to eat and live healthily. And I'll be motivated to get myself to exercise on days I feel lazy.

What better way to mark the 10th anniversary of my maiden climb? Going back to Mount Kilimanjaro in 2010 will be like a dream come true for me.

2 comments:

jules said...

I just read another friend's blog about her recent trekking trip up Kota Kinabalu. It sounded so exhilarating when u reach the top, savouring the glorious majesty of Mother Nature. Sigh, if only my old bones are more fit and raring to go... Jia You! Wish u all the best, give u moral support and my prayers, for your Project 2010!

Piko said...

Yes, indeed the experience is beyond description. Words alone cannot fully express the glorious beauty of God's artwork. Mt Kilimanjaro is not entirely unconquerable. While physical strength is impt, mental strength is the one that propels you forward when you feel like giving up.

I remember back in 2000, there was a lady in our group, who was 55. She went really pole-pole (African for 'slowly'), didn't make it to the summit but she enjoyed the journey too.

I think while the destination is impt, we should also enjoy the process. Walk slowly, take time to smell the flowers and pose for pictures... so that all is not lost even if we couldn't reach the summit :)

What is your friend's blog URL? I'm interested to read abt her Kinabalu trip. Convenient? Or u can email me.